West Education Center (WEC) serves students grades 9-12 and Transition age with unique needs in a variety of programs.
We are experts at serving students that demonstrate a variety of unique needs related to their disabilities and/or other related conditions.
High School: Our high school program serves students in grades 9-12 who may demonstrate needs related to social-emotional and/or behavioral regulation, specific learning disabilities, or other physical or mental health conditions. Our students work on developing a variety of skills through core-content instruction and specialized services.
West Alternative (W-ALT) is an alternative high school for students working towards their high school diploma.
W-ALT is a credit-based program that offers:
- High school diploma classes that meet the standard state requirements through blended learning.
- Courses in work experience, art, and engineering.
- Career exploration and employment training.
- Exploratory activities including art classes, career day, college tours, and access to college classes through Hennepin Technical College, Eden Prairie campus.
What makes us different?
- W-Alt works with students at their skill level to help them build confidence in their abilities.
- W-Alt is a continuous progress model program (students earn a .25 credit at their own pace and only takes classes they need for their graduation plan).
- W-Alt is a blended learning environment (digital learning tools).
- Small class sizes and greater individual attention.
- Project-based learning opportunities.
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Program.
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) framework.
- Access to support staff including School Counselor and Social Worker.
Our Transition programs support students who have attended a high school special education program and qualify for continued support in developing knowledge and skills in the areas of:
- Education and Training
- Independent Living.
Here at West Education Center, we have transition programs that span from the WEC Campus to the Hennepin Technical College, Eden Prairie campus. Transition students needing more customized supports and opportunities can receive those at our WEC campus. Transition students who are more independent and have shown success in a less structured environment, similar to college, can be served at our Hennepin Technical College campus.