During school age years, proper nutrition can reinforce lifelong eating habits that contribute to a student’s overall well being. This can help them grow and learn to their fullest potential and then go on to lead a healthy lifestyle.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider.
District 287 can serve free meals for all students for the 2020-21 school year. Children don’t need to be enrolled to participate. If your child is over 18 and enrolled in a program at one of our district schools, they also qualify for free meals.
Free meals are available to all students through the end of the school year based on their current learning model.
Students returning to Full Time In-Person Learning on January 19th (K-3), February 2nd (4-5), February 16th (6-8 and transition programs) or March 2nd (9-12) - When your student returns to full time in-person learning, they will receive free breakfast and lunch daily while at school. They will also be sent home with a weekend meal pack on Friday afternoons, unless you opt-out of receiving the meal pack by informing their teacher. You do not need to pre-order or sign up for meals. We hope to continue to provide weekend meal packs through the end of the school year. Once students return to full time in-person learning, they are not eligible to receive weekly meal packs or meal deliveries unless they return to distance learning or it is a school break week.
Connected Learning - If your secondary student is attending in-person learning one day a week currently, they will continue to receive free breakfast and lunch while they are at school and will be sent home with a 4-day pack of meals for their distance learning days. These 4-day meal packs will be discontinued once your student returns to full time in-person learning. If you would like to receive a weekend meal pack for your student, you may sign up weekly on the Meal Order Form and pick up the weekend meal pack at one of our school sites each Friday, until your student returns to full time in-person learning. Additional information can be found in the meal order form. We hope to continue to provide weekend meal packs through the end of the school year.
Distance Learning - If your student is remaining in distance learning, you may sign up weekly on the Meal Order Form to receive a 7-day meal pack that may be picked up at North Education Center or West Education Center each Friday. Additional information can be found in the meal order form. Please note that due to low participation, beginning February 12th, we will no longer have meal pickups available at South Education Center or Ann Bremer Education Center.
Critical Need Meal Delivery
To qualify for critical need home meal delivery:
- Your family must have a student enrolled in Intermediate District 287 and
- You must have a current SY 2020-21 School Meal Benefit Application on file - Online Application
- You have no access to a car/vehicle or other transportation. OR
- No one in your household can leave their job during school meal pickup hours
- Your student is in full distance learning
If you qualify for critical need meal delivery and your student is in distance learning and you would like to have a 7-day meal pack delivered to your home, please complete the Critical Need Meal Delivery Sign Up Form. Additional information is included within the form.
Your student may qualify for free or reduced-price lunch.
Free/Reduced Meal Forms:
- English Version instructions
- English Version application
- Hmoob (Hmong) instructions
- Hmoob (Hmong) application
- Soomaali (Somali) instructions
- Soomaali (Somali) application
- Español (Spanish) instructions
- Español (Spanish) application
Additional Resources and Forms
- Special Diet Statement Form
- Special Diet Procedure
- Lactose-Free Milk Request Form
- Non-Discrimination Statement
Local Wellness Policy: Triennial Assessment
An assessment of the school wellness policy must be conducted a minimum of once every three years;
The results of the assessment must be made available to the public and found here.
View our school menus website powered by My School Menus.
- See ingredient and nutrition information
- View menus in Spanish, Somali, and 150+ other languages
- Print menus to use at home
- Build-A-Meal to see nutrition facts
- Create customized meals
- Identify your student’s dietary preferences
How to use the online menus and translate into other languages