North Education Center (NEC) serves students K-12 with unique needs in a variety of programs.
We are experts at serving the unique needs of our students with Emotional Behavioral Disorders (EBD), Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or other neurological conditions, and Developmental Cognitive Disabilities (DCD) or cognitive impairments, mental health conditions and/or trauma, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD); and/or other related conditions or diagnosie.
- Elementary: Our elementary program serves students in grades K-5. Students benefit from small class sizes and customized learning in a well-supported classroom. Just like any other school, our elementary programs have activities such as circle time, play time, physical education, and recess. Students work on emotional regulation to better access learning and focus on traditional academics like literacy and math.
- Middle: Our middle school programs serve students in grades 6-8. Just like other middle school experiences, students rotate through classes to gain core content areas like reading and math. They gain the academic and emotional skills to prepare them for returning to middle school in their home school district. Students work on identifying their emotions, self-regulating, and responsible decision-making skills to prepare them for middle and high school. Our middle school programs have small class sizes and customized learning in a well-supported classroom.
- High School: Our high school programs serve students in grades 9-12. Students work on a variety of skills including responsibility, skills training, interdependence, communication, emotional regulation, as well as core content areas like reading and math. Our high school programs have unique classrooms to meet the sensory needs of students.
North Education Center Academy (NECA) is an alternative high school for students who are determined to earn their diploma on-time.
NECA is a credit-based program that offers:
- High school diploma classes that meet the standard state requirements
- Courses in work experience, parenting, art, and personal finance
- Career exploration and employment training
- Exploratory activities including art classes, speakers on a wide range of relevant life-issues, field trips, and access to educational materials/resources
- Classes for English Learner students
What makes us different?
NECA works with students at their skill level to help them build confidence in their abilities.
- Small class sizes and greater individual attention
- Project-based learning
- Onsite daycare services for teen parents
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) and Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
For more information on enrolling please contact:
NECA Fax: 763-746-8030
The Early Learning Center (ELC) at North Education Center is a Hennepin County approved and funded daycare for infant and toddler children of teenage parents who are determined to graduate from high school.
Our goal is for student parents to attend high school and to teach them about child development, parenting and family living skills.
- Positive and nurturing child-centered classrooms
- Parenting classes for teen parents
- Strong relationships with children and their parents
- Children between the ages of 8 weeks to pre-school
- Open to both female and male student parents.
Students are referred by school counselors, social workers, child protection personnel, or in some cases, the students. Incoming infants or toddlers need a physical examination stating that all immunizations are up to date and health history forms from their physicians. Students must qualify for Hennepin County Child Care Assistance funds and be in compliance with Hennepin County Child Support for services to be provided in the ELC.