Save Your License: Mental Health
Welcome to the Mental Health online course! Successful completion of this course will earn TWO clock hours that address the following MN teacher licensure requirement:
"Effective for renewal of professional licenses which expire on June 30, 2005, and after, applicants must also include in their 125 clock hours instruction or other professional development activities which address further preparation in understanding the key warning signs of early-onset mental illnesses in children and adolescents which may include depressed mood, excessive fears and anxieties, changes in behavior and performance, failure to develop peer relationships, impaired concentration and thinking, suicidal gestures, the potential connection to substance use, and knowledge of steps to be taken if such warning signs are observed." For questions about licensure see this Minnesota Department of Education page.
Be aware that in order to obtain clock hour credit you’ll have to produce work in this course. The instructor will review your work to be sure it meets course requirements. You’ll have opportunities to resubmit your work until you succeed, but expect to set aside two solid hours of effort in order to successfully complete the course.
This online course requires the following modest hardware requirements. Please go to this test page to make sure that your computer can handle the content. It is your responsibility to make sure your computer meets the requirements for the course.
In this two-hour learning session you will learn about a variety of common mental disorders including depression and Bipolar Disorder, Autism, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and disruptive behavior disorders including Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
As you navigate this session you will:
- Read an excellent article about teen depression.
- See an informative narration of Bipolar Disorder.
- Read a very well written and informative article about Autism from Edutopia.
- Learn about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in children and teens in a short interview with Dr. John Walker.
- Learn about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in videos by Dr. Preeti Parikh
- Listen to an interview with Dr. Susan K. Schulman about Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior (OCD) in children and adolescents.
To complete this course:
1. Create an account and pay $25 with credit card on our Registration page. Registration is two easy steps, and you can begin working right away.
2. Complete your course.
3. Your instructor will verify that you have successfully completed the course, notify you, and provide access to print out your CEU certificate for 2 clock hours addressing the mental health licensure requirement.
Thank-you for participating in this course. If you are interested in additional online courses, go to the PREP Center Homepage.
Questions about licensure requirements?
See this Minnesota Department of Education page.
Questions about registering for this course?
Contact Kristin Klobe at email@example.com
Questions about logging in to your course?
Contact the Moodle Administrator if you have issues with logging in.