The District 287 VECTOR/Invest/Venture Transition programs provide an array of liaison and support services to students interested in or enrolled in secondary vocational (Career and Technical) and postsecondary courses as part of their individualized education plan.
These highly individualized services can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assessment services to develop appropriate, realistic postsecondary plans.
- Enhanced tutoring support that focuses on each student's course of study to maximize their success in formal career and technical training programs in a structured and supportive academic environment.
- Other areas of individualized instruction/tutoring can include preparing to take the driver's permit test, citizenship prep, GED prep, ACT prep and career research and exploration.
- Assistance in developing the skills to obtain necessary disability-related supports and accommodations.
- Direct instruction and/or tutoring in math, with an emphasis on skill development.
- Instruction and application of learning strategies and study skills to enhance college success.
- Support staff tailored to each student's area of need (test reader, note taker, technical tutor, sign language interpreter, classroom support, etc.).
- Course selection and registration services - including identification of course and program requirements and schedule development.
- Written progress reports for IEP meetings.
- Regular liaison staff contact with secondary vocational and postsecondary instructors to identify, monitor, assess and report on class progress, attendance, in-class and tutoring needs.
- Emphasis on the integration of self-advocacy and self-determination skills.
- Shaping behaviors for adult environments.
- These comprehensive services are provided primarily on-campus at Hennepin Technical College. Every student is eligible for these enhanced supports and services - from the planning and research stages to enrollment and participation in postsecondary courses.