Area Learning Center (ALC)
Area Learning Center (ALC) programs are built on the idea that education is best achieved when a small group of caring people team together to help one another. Intermediate District 287 ALC programs serves students who live within the 11 Hennepin County school districts. Students from other Minnesota school districts may participate as well. All students who elect to attend ALC programs must qualify under the Graduation Incentives Program. All programs strive to provide social, emotional and academic support for each student.
Our ALC programs:
- Use non-traditional methods to help learners achieve academic and learning skills.
- Incorporate trade and vocational skills in the student's learning plan.
- Provide career exploration and work experience opportunities.
- Help students make the transition back to mainstream schools of higher education and to the workplace.
- Assist students in coping with or solving their personal and social problems.
- Help young people cope with personal crises and move on to academic and social growth.
- Fit into three broad categories - Prevention, Intervention and Recovery.
With more than 20 Area Learning Center program options, qualifying students are afforded a personalized, informal and more flexible way of learning. Services are provided year-round for students ages 5 to 21 who need alternatives to reach their potential and to fulfill educational goals. Some alternative learning centers are managed by Intermediate District 287, while others are managed by our member districts.
Classes managed by Intermediate District 287 are held at the following convenient locations during the day and evening hours to accomodate students' schedules.
West Education Center houses West Education Center Alternative (W-ALT) program.
South Education Center houses South Education Center Academy (SECA) program, including ALC Plus (a program designed for pregnant and parenting teens and English Learners).
North Education Center houses North Education Center Academy (NECA) program, including ALC Plus.
Hennepin Technical College at Brooklyn Park Campus houses Gateway to College program.