Free saliva testing
The Minnesota Department of Health has opened semi-permanent saliva test sites in Brooklyn Park and St. Paul. Saliva testing is free and open to all Minnesotans. Hours for both the Brooklyn Park and St Paul sites:
- Monday – Friday: 12 – 7 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
We know that access to testing for COVID-19 has been a barrier for some families in the 287 community. Thanks to the hard work of our health and safety leaders in 287, we have special permission for 287 families to participate in a free saliva testing pilot program with the Minnesota Department of Health.
As a family who has a student enrolled in District 287, you can now order up to 5 COVID-19 saliva tests for your household via mail-in order.
- The tests must be ordered by the family directly (not by 287 staff).
- You can request up to 5 tests per household, but each request needs a unique e-mail address.
- Testing is free for every Minnesotan whether or not you have insurance.
- However, if you do have insurance, you will need to provide your information when ordering the tests.
- When the test is ordered, you will need to provide the name and photo of the individual who will take the saliva test. You can request a test in advance and use it when needed.
- This is not a “do-it-yourself” at-home test. The saliva sample will be provided under remote supervision via a Zoom call. You must not open the test until your appointment. Your results will be ready 48-72 hours after the lab received the test.
We encourage our families to use this free saliva testing service if you think you or someone in your family may have been exposed to COVID-19. We hope this program will help reduce any barriers your family may experience to testing.