We offer variety of programs and enrichment opportunities for students to excel beyond traditional offerings in school.
Destination Imagination is a 21st century learning program that encourages students to have fun, take risks, focus, and frame challenges while incorporating STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), the arts and service learning. Students build on their strengths, while learning patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, project management and rapid prototyping.
Teams showcase their solutions at a tournament. For additional information about Destination Imagination visit www.mndi.org.
Fermi Math League is an internet-based math competition appropriate for enrichment, small group work and individuals wanting creative, technology-rich experiences. Fermi Math is process-oriented rather than “one-answer” driven. The Fermi Math League is open to school districts and individual students world-wide.
- Registration can be for teams and individual learners.
- Any student may register and compete. Students can work solo or in teams up to four. Divisions for grades 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, plus 7-9.
- Cost for the session is $75 per team. Coaches and parents do not pay.
- Individual Rates and Team registration
- School or District Rates and Registration
- 2019-20 Fermi Information Flyer
- Program Overview
- Sample Fermi Solutions Slides
We offer an advanced math program as an option for elementary and middle school math students during the school year through Northern Star Online. The program is a combination of online learning and web-based seminars. To qualify for the program, testing for students in grades 4 – 7 is held in the spring of each year.
- Print the registration form and return it to your school representative to discuss the program and obtain the necessary signatures. Then send the form and $15 registration fee for the qualifying exam to the contact listed on the form.
- If you receive a qualifying score on the exam, you will then need to complete the registration process at www.northernstaronline.org to register for the appropriate class.
- When the enrollment process is completed, you will be sent login information to the online course and more information on the first on-site meeting with the teacher.
- The course can substitute for the regular math class the student would take at school.
Mentor Connection courses are a year-long advanced learning experience for high school seniors or juniors who seek academic challenge and who are ready to explore their goals for the future by participating in advanced study under the guidance of a professional in one of the following fields:
- Arts: Dance, writing, music, sculpture, design, photography, architecture, theater
- Medical: Any medical specialty, including nontraditional medicine
- Social Science: Law, psychology, economics, social work, community service, politics, business, or other areas
- Science Mentorship Program (SciMent): students conduct a science experiment and submit it for competition through the International Science and Engineering Fair. Learn more.
West Suburban Summer School serves students who are identified as gifted and talented in our member districts, and students from non-member school districts (at a slightly higher fee). Instructors design enrichment classes in their area of expertise to provide students with unique experiences to challenge their abilities. Classes are held during two weeks of June, and three weeks of July at several locations within the West Metro.