Below are resources that our staff have specifically identified to support the diverse students we serve.

We know that the lives of our students can be challenging and they come to us because they and/or their families believe we can support them regardless. We want students to feel a true sense of belonging and inclusion at school. We work to destigmatize and normalize the things that others may consider different.

Counseling and Homelessness

Mental Health Resources

It is okay to feel stressed and overwhelmed about a situation, a relationship, or life in general. There are great people that can walk alongside us as we process the challenges of life. Counseling is a great opportunity to work through some challenging thought processes and move towards healthy change. Here are some resources that we think you should consider.

Counseling Resources
FamilyWise Services (formerly Genesis II for Families) (Minneapolis) 612.617.0191.  3036 University Ave. SE. Minneapolis, MN 55414.  Case management and mentoring support for pregnant and parenting youth ages 12-21.

Family Partnership (3 locations in Minneapolis) 612.339.9101. Providing counseling, education, and advocacy.

Headway Emotional Health Services (Various locations) 612.861.1675.  Mental health care professionals providing outpatient therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, psychiatric services, and in-school therapy.    ​
MyHealth (Hopkins) 952.474.3251. 15 8th Ave. S. Hopkins, MN 55343.  Health care for young people: Ages 12-23 for clinic services and ages 12-26 for mental health services.  ​

Walk-In Counseling Center: 612-870-0565 (Minneapolis & St. Paul). Free Counseling Services.

Regional & National Resources
Cornerstone Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-866-223-1111
National Runaway Safeline: 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929

Suicide Prevention Hotline
: 1-800-273-8255
Trevor Project (LGBT Suicide Hotline): 1-866-488-73861-8

Additional Local Resources
The Bridge for Youth Crisis Line: 612-377-8800
The Bridge for Youth Crisis TEXT Line: 612-400-7233

Hennepin Country Child Crisis Mobile Team: 612-348-2233
Hennepin County Adult Crisis Mobile Team: 612-596-1223

Ramsey County Child Crisis Line: 651-266-7878
Ramsey County Adult Crisis Line: 651-266-7900

Youth Drop-In Centers
Youth Drop-In Centers
  • Hope 4 Youth (Anoka) (site) (16-24 y.o.) 763.323.2066.
  • Move Forward (Hopkins) (site) (16-24) 952.988.8336.
  • Northstar (Maplewood Mall) (site) 651.770.0777.
  • Oasis for Youth (Bloomington) (site) 952.512.2061.
  • SafeZone (St. Paul) (site) 651.244.9644.
  • The Link C.O.R.E. (Apple Valley) (site) 612.205.7944.
  • ​YouthLink (Minneapolis) (site) (18-23 y.o.) 612.252.1200.
Youth Shelters
Go to Youth Services Network or call 612-377-8800 to find shelter availability.
  • Avenues for Homeless Youth (site) (16-20 y.o.) Minneapolis 612.522.1690, Brooklyn Park 763.450.4276 (Emergency bed opens 4pm daily).
  • Booth Brown (St. Paul) (site) (18-21 y.o.) 651.444.5757, 651.646.2601.
  • Hope Street (South Minneapolis) (site) (18-20 y.o.) 612.204.8211.
  • Safe House (St. Paul ) (site) (16-20 y.o.) 651.444.5757, 651.644.3446.
  • Stepping Stone (site) Anoka (18+) 763.323.7006.
  • Tubman (site) (13-24 y.o.) Parenting youth allowed, 651.770.0777.

Under 18 Shelters Ain Dah Yung (site) (5-17 y.o.) 651.227.4184.

  • Bridge 4 Youth (site) (10-17 y.o.) 612.377.8800.
  • Brittany’s Place (site) (10-17 y.o.) 651.287.4801.
  • Passageways (site) (13-17 y.o.) 612.232.5428.

​For students 18+ in need of a shelter with no available youth shelter beds open, visit Adult Shelter Connect to seek our adult shelter bed opportunities.  Adult Shelter Connect is open on M-F from 10am-5pm & Sat-Sun from 1pm-5pm @ St. Olaf Catholic Church (215 S 8th St, Minneapolis, MN 55402).  Adult Shelter Connect 612.248.2350.

Educational Rights

For Students
What is an ALC, and what do I need to know about them?

An area learning center provides comprehensive educational services to enrolled secondary students throughout the year. This could include a daytime school within a school or separate site for both high school and middle school level students. Students must be at-risk as defined by statute. Students served are off-track for graduation and are working towards completing their graduation requirements. In addition to day programs, these centers provide extended learning opportunities for students to make up lost credits or to prepare for graduation tests. ALCs serve students from more than one district. ALCs must also provide services to middle level students, either at a separate site or within their school. ALCs can apply to provide Targeted Services to elementary age students in after school and summer programs." (MN Dept of Education, 2017).

Can I enroll in an ALC?
In Minnesota, you can enroll in an ALC if you are under 21 and meet at least one of the following criteria:
  1. Performs substantially below the performance level for pupils of the same age in a locally determined achievement test.
  2. Is behind in satisfactorily completing coursework or obtaining credits for graduation.
  3. Is pregnant or is a parent.
  4. Has been assessed as chemically dependent.
  5. Has been excluded or expelled.
  6. Has been referred by a school district for enrollment in an eligible program.
  7. Is a victim of physical or sexual abuse.
  8. Has experienced mental health problems.
  9. Has experienced homelessness sometime within six months before requesting a transfer to an eligible program.
  10. Speaks English as a second language or has limited English proficiency.
  11. Has withdrawn from school or has been chronically truant.
  12. Is being treated in a hospital in the seven-county metropolitan area for cancer or other life-threatening illness or is the sibling of an eligible pupil who is currently being treated, and resides with the pupil’s family at least 60 miles beyond the outside boundary of the seven-county metropolitan area.
What is an adult diploma?

Adult diploma is a way for students to complete their high school credits if they are unenrolled in school. If you are over 17 and only have a few high school credits remaining, adult diploma might be a good option!​

Can I drop out of school?

Minnesota Statute 120A.22 Subd. 5(a): Ages and Terms

Every child between seven and seventeen years of age must receive instruction unless the child has graduated. Every child under the age of seven who is enrolled in a half-day kindergarten, or a full-day kindergarten program on alternate days, or other kindergarten programs shall receive instruction. Except as provided under subdivision 6*, a parent may withdraw a child under the age of enrollment at any time.

*Once a pupil under the age of seven is enrolled in kindergarten or a higher grade in a public school, the pupil is subject to the compulsory education provisions of this chapter and section 120A.34, unless the board of the district in which the child is enrolled has a policy that exempts children under seven.

Minnesota Statute 120A.22 Subd. 8(1) and (2): Withdrawl from School

Any student who is 17 years old who seeks to withdraw from school, and the student's parent or guardian must attend a meeting with school personnel to discuss educational opportunities available to the student, including alternative educational opportunities and sign a written election to withdraw from school

What happens if I don't graduate when my class does?

That is okay! You have several options. In Minnesota, you can stay at your local high school throughout the year you turn 21! If you are not interested in going back to high school, you could take adult diploma classes. You could also study and take the GED.

What is the GED?
GED stands for general equivalency exam. The GED is made up of four tests: language arts, math, science, and social studies. The tests are all on the computer and you can take them one at a time. There are many GED prep classes available to help you study for the tests. More information can be found at ​
For Parents
Attendance Policies
Minnesota Statute 120A.22 Subd. 1: Parental Responsibility
  • the parent of a child is primarily responsible for assuring that the child acquires knowledge and skills that are essential for effective citizenship.

Minnesota Statute 120A.22 Subd. 12: Legitimate Expectations

  • child illness, medical, dental, orthodontic, or counseling appointments;
  • family emergencies;
  • the death or serious illness or funeral of an immediate family members;
  • active duty in any military branch of the United States;
  • the child has a condition that requires ongoing treatment for a mental health diagnosis; and
  • other exemptions included in the district's school attendance policy.

Minnesota Statute 120A. 34: Violations; Penalties

  • any person who fails or refuses to provide for instruction of a child of whom the person has legal custody, and who is required by section 120A. 22 subdivision 5, to receive instruction, when notifies so do by a truant officer or other official, or any person who induces or attempts to induce any child unlawfully to be absent from school, or who knowingly harbors or employs, while school is in session, any child unlawfully absent from school, shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

When does my student's truancy become educational neglect?

​Minnesota Statute 260C.007 Subd. 6(3) and Subd. 6(14)

  • "child in need of protection services" means:
    • a child is in need of protection or services because the child is without necessary education because the child's parent, guardian, or custodian is unable or unwilling to provide that care.
    • a child who is in need of protection or services because the child is a habitual truant.

Child Protection workers may become involved due to a child's history of truancy. The following civil and criminal jurisdictions may apply:

​Minnesota Statute 260C. 425 Sudb. 1(a)

  • any person who by act, word, or omission encourages, causes, or contributes to the need for protection or services is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

Minnesota Statute 260C.335 Subd. 1

  • the juvenile court has civil jurisdiction over persons contributing to the need for protection or services of a child under the provision of this section.
What should I expect if the court gets involved with my student's truancy case?

Depending on the circumstances of your student's truancy, it is possible that the court will become involved. If this happens, your family may expect court orders such as:

  • lawful school attendance,
  • cooperate with assigned Community Contracted Agency,
  • submit to mental health, chemical dependency, or other therapeutic evaluations and follow recommendations from said evaluations, and
  • individual and family counseling.

GED and Adult Diploma Programs

Adult Diploma and GED
Adult Diploma
An Adult Diploma is acquired through the successful completion of either a competency based or credit based program.  A competency based program enables a student to attain their adult diploma through displaying competency in 6 subjects: math, language arts, science, social studies, technology, and life skills.  Competency in subjects can be attained via transcripts, tests, current classroom work, employment, and life experiences.  A credit based diploma is earned through the completion of the credits required by the school district.  Adult Diploma programs are free and the Twin Cities locations are listed below and on our map.

Adult Diploma Locations 

  1. Volunteers of America High School (Minneapolis) Competency & Credit Based Programs.  612.278.4239.  924 19th Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55404.  Classes M-Th 3pm-9pm (3-5pm Independent Work Time) {M Social Studies 5pm-7pm, Science 7pm-9pm, Tu/Th English from 5pm-9pm, W Math 5pm-9pm}.
  2.  Hubbs Center (St. Paul)-Year Round Competency Based Programs for individuals 18 and up.  Childcare is available during class from 7:30am-3:30pm via the YWCA and can be applied for.  Hubbs Center 651.290.4822, 1030 University Ave West, St. Paul, MN 55104.  Enrollment is done on M & W from 9-11:30 or 2-5:30pm.  ​
  3. Osseo ABE (Brooklyn Center)-Competency Based.  763.566.5452, 7051 Brooklyn Boulevard 200S, Brooklyn Center, MN 55429.  Morning classes are on M-Th from 9am-1pm, and evening classes are on Tu & Th from 5:30pm-8:30pm.
  4. AAP Robbinsdale Area (Credit Based).  Enrollment call Dan Woodbury 763.504.8318 or General Info 763.504.8300.  Located at Crystal Learning Center, 305 Willow Bend, Crystal, MN 55428.  Morning Classes are from 9am-2pm, Evening Classes are from 430pm-830pm.
  5. Roseville ALC (Credit Based) 651.604.3553, Fairview Community Center Room 207, 1910 County Road B West, Roseville, MN 55113.
    Classes Tuesday 330-730 (1 on 1 Teacher Support).
  6. Metro North ABE (Locations in Blaine & Anoka) Competency based programs. 763.433.4200 (for both locations).  (Blaine) Blaine Learning Lab, 1201 89th Ave NE, Suite 335, Blaine, MN 55434. (Anoka) Metro North ABE at Anoka Technical College Room 184 (1355 West Highway 10, Anoka, MN 55303).
  7. Metro South (Bloomington) Credit & Competency Based Programs.  952.681.6170, 2575 West 88th St, Bloomington, MN 55431.  Classes from 915-315 M-Th.
  8. Dakota Valley Learning Center (Apple Valley) Credit based program. 952.388.1980, 4679 144th St West, Apple Valley, MN 55124.
  9. Great Rivers AEC (Cottage Grove) Credit based program.  651.425.6634, 8400 East Point Douglas Road South,  Cottage Grove, MN 55016.  Classes are 12:30pm-8:30pm M/Tu, W 3:45pm-7:45pm, and F 12:30pm-4:30pm.

​A General Education Diploma (GED) is earned through the successful completion of four individual tests in the subjects of Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, & Science.  Each section can be tested individually ($30 each) or the test can be taken all together.  Educational programs to help prepare students for the GED test are free and select locations are listed below (all locations can be located on our map).  The individual must be 19* years old to take the test.

*If an individual is 17-18 years old and wants to take the GED test, they must meet at least one of the following requirements

  • Being out of school for 1 calendar year
  • Your high school class has graduated
  • An employer requires it for employment
  • The military requires it for entry
  • If a post-secondary institution says you need the GED for entry.
  • An Adult Basic Education program says you have successfully completed the practice tests.

GED Preparation Sites

  1. Emerge's GED Program (North Minneapolis) 763.251.0379
    1834 Emerson Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55411
  2. Summit Academy OIC (Minneapolis) 612.377.0150
    935 Olson Memorial Highway, Minneapolis, MN 55405
  3. Neighborhood House (St. Paul) 651.789.2522 (Childcare available!)
    179 Robie St East, St. Paul, MN 55107
  4. Hubbs Center (St. Paul) 651.290.4822 (Childcare available!)
    1030 University Ave West, St. Paul, MN 55104
  5. Osseo ABE (Brooklyn Center) 763.566.5452
    7051 Brooklyn Boulevard 200S, Brooklyn Center, MN 55429
  6. AAP Robbinsdale (Crystal) 763.504.8300 Crystal learning center
    305 Willow Bend, Crystal, MN 55428
  7. West ABE (Wayzata) 763.745.5213 (Childcare available!)
    1605 County Rd 101 North, Rooms 200A-C, Plymouth, MN 55447
  8. Adult Options in Education (St. Louis Park) 952.988.5343
    1342 Colorado Ave South, St. Louis Park, MN 55416
  9. Adult Options in Education (Hopkins) 952.988.5343
    Eisenhower Community Center 1001 Hwy 7, Hopkins, MN 55305

LGBTQ Community Resources

Support Groups and Drop In Programs

LGBTQ Community Support Groups & Drop in Programs

Young Adults
Avenues for Homeless Youth-Drop in program (establish safe community), meets every Tuesday & Thursday from 2-6pm at 1210 37th Ave North, Minneapolis, MN 55412

(NAMI) Minneapolis (Young Adult 18-30) Support Group meets on 1st & 3rd Thursdays from 6pm-7:30pm @ Boneshaker Books Community Room (2002 23rd Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55404).  Contact Oliver 503.828.7421 or via email

​YouthLink (Minneapolis) Outgroup bi-weekly gatherings on Fridays from 12pm-1pm @ Youthlink (41 North 12th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403).  Contact Kaja Vang 612.252.1234 or

​18+ Groups
Bisexual Organizing Project-Bi+ Community Discussion, meets 2nd Thursday of month from 6pm-7:30pm @ OutFront Offices in Sabbathani Community Center (310 E 38th St #209, Minneapolis, MN 55409).
Bi+ book club, meets 1st Wednesday of the month from 7pm-9pm @ Quatrefoil Library (1220 E Lake St, Minneapolis, MN 55407).
​Additional Events can be found on their fb page.

(NAMI) Minneapolis- (Saturday's from 1pm-2:30pm) Support group meets weekly at Living Table United Church of Christ (3805 East 40th St, Minneapolis, MN 55406.  Contact David 612.920.3925.

(NAMI) St. Paul- (Saturday's from 1pm-2:30pm) Support group meets at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church (700 Snelling Ave South, St. Paul, MN 55116).  Contact Alec 952.334.6318 or Briana 763.489.8086.

Two Spirit/Native Support Group- (Wednesday's from 12pm-2pm) Group meets at MN Indian Women's Resource Center (2300 15th Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55404).

Local Community Organizations

Aliveness Project-Provides meals, food shelf access, therapy, and advocacy for individuals living with HIV/Aids (site).   

Avenues for Homeless Youth-Host Home Program serving LGBTQ youth ages 16-24 (site).  

Bisexual Organizing Project-Community based groups and conferences (site).

GSC (U of M)-Provides education, advocacy, outreach, and support to students, staff, faculty, alum, and community members (site).

MN Indian Women's Resource Center (Two Spirit)-Creates safe space for socializing and reconnection with cultural teachings (site).

OutFront MN-Advocacy, Legal Support, and Public Policy (site).

PFLAG Twin Cities-Support, Education, and Advocacy (site).  

Quatrefoil Library-Provides a welcoming space for the GLBT community to engage in literature and media (site).

Mental Health and Health Care

Family Partnership-Counseling to members of the transgender community and their families (site). 

Family Tree Clinic-Committed to providing comfortable, competent, and accessible care to trans and gender non-conforming patients (site).   

MN LGBT Therapists' network-Online network of mental health practitioners (site).  

MN Transgender Health Coalition-offers various free health care services for the trans and gender non-conforming community (site).

Pride Institute-Recovery services specifically serving the LGBTQ community (site).  

Reclaim-Mental Health Support for Queer & Trans Youth (site).   

Trevor Project-24 hour national crisis line & counseling for LGBTQ youth 866.488.7386 (site).  

Pregnant and Parenting