We are excited you are interested in a career at District 287. We hire year-round to serve the unique students in our schools.
What to know before you apply
District 287 is trusted to provide trauma-sensitive, customized services so that all students get the best education possible.
We’re experts in:
- Special Education
- Alternative Learning Center Academies (ALCs)
- Transition Services
- Career and Technical Education
- Itinerant Services
- Care & Treatment
- Online Learning
- Gifted Education
Our strategic vision includes hiring and retaining diverse staff across all levels of our organization. We value racially diverse perspectives and life experiences. Our employees engage in courageous conversations about race to increase their individual, as well as our collective, racial consciousness.
287’s mission outcomes center on student outcomes & racial equity. Our efforts include becoming a trauma-sensitive school district.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package for licensed and non-licensed support staff who advance student success.
- Paid leave (up to 96 hours for full time employees)
- School calendar schedule: holidays and summers off
- Health, dental, & life insurance, & long term disability
- Wellness services & free, confidential professional consulting, coaching, & counseling services
- Retirement benefits through TRA & PERA
- District match for 403b participants
- Benefits summary
- Instructional coaches
- Mentors for new teachers
- Professional Learning Communities
- Ongoing professional development
- Programs to help employees reach their career goals
District 287 is partnered with Teacher on Call for substitute placement. Teachers on Call is a substitute staffing service that hires licensed teachers, paraprofessionals, and early childcare staff.
Contact Teachers On Call
Benefits of working with Teachers on Call and 287
- Use the Aesop automated system to pick up substitute jobs
- A growing list of training opportunities
- Weekly pay, bonuses, and paid holidays (dependent on hours worked)
- Insurance opportunities
- Option to enroll in the Educators Retirement Savings Plan
Labor Agreements with Local 287 and Local 2209
- Service Employees International Union Local 284 (2018-2020)
- Education Minnesota Local 2209 (2017-2019)
Local 2209 Contract Summary
All licensed and non-licensed staff are part of the Local 2209 Union. The following is based on the Local 2209 Master Contract, effective July 1, 2017- June 30, 2019.
First-year licensed staff work 185 days with no more than 175 student contact days. Included are 8-staff development days and 2-3 staff orientation days. The basic work year is 183 days.
- Initial placement is based on years of experience & education levels
- Employees who perform duties for one semester or 91 or more duty days (whichever is less) shall advance one step on their salary schedule.
- Pay periods are bimonthly – 15th and last day of the month
- 24 pay period September 15 – August 31
403(b) Matching Contribution Plan
- Matching contribution to the employee’s 403(b) plan according to eligibility and years of service
- Current beginning match is $600 for 3- 9 completed full-time (.8 FTE) years of service
- Each contract year, 1.0 FTE employees shall be credited with 96 hours of leave (prorated for those employees working a lower FTE)
- All 96 hours of leave per year may accrue without limit for all employees.
- Staff not tenured in another Minnesota public school system = 3 years with a minimum of 120 student contact days
- Staff previously tenured in another Minnesota public school system = 1 year with a minimum of 120 student contact days
- In accordance with Minnesota Statute
- Currently 3 evaluations during each year of non-tenure
- Once tenured, 1 every 3 years
As part of the Assurance of Compliance, the school district is required to provide an electronic copy of each of the laws found on the Assurance of Compliance Equity Laws website.
Copies of these laws are available by paper copy in a 3-ring binder.
Requests to view the paper copy should be forwarded to:
Director of Human Resources