Should a Northern Star Online enrollee need to withdraw from a given course, they should follow these procedures:
1. Log in to the Genius Registration system
2. Click on Drop a Course from the left side menu
3. Click on "Request new drop" at the top of the screen
4. Choose the Course and Reason from teh drop-down list.
5. Click SAVE.
6. A notification email will be sent to the counselor, student and guardian.
7. The counselor and guardian must log in to Genius and check off their approval of the drop request.
If you are having difficulty logging into Genius or requesting to drop a course there:
- Download one of the following NSO Course Withdrawal Form(s):
- Withdrawal form for Public School students enrolled in NSO courses
- Withdrawal form for Private School students enrolled in NSO courses
- Fill-out and sign form(s) [ Note: Signatures are required on all withdrawal forms ]
- Mail or FAX
the form as per the address or phone information on the form.
Withdrawal Forms received during the first 10 working days (M-F) of the
start date of the class will receive pro-rated tuition. Withdrawals
received after 10 working days (M-F) from the course start date will
not receive any tuition reimbursement.
Students who are inactive in a course for 2 weeks will receive a notice that they will be withdrawn if they do not contact their teacher and complete work.
Students who are inactive in a course for 3 weeks will be withdrawn from a course and receive a grade of "WD", which carries no credit.
To request reinstatement into online course/s following Administrative Withdrawal
Student must a submit letter (via email) copied to:
- NSO counselor
- online teacher/s
- school counselor
The letter must include the following:
- Student name
- Online course/s that you are requesting be reinstated
- Reasons for your lack of activity and work completion to date
- Changes you plan to make in the future to ensure your success
- Immediate steps you will take once your access has been restored
- Confirmation that you have read the student expectations and understand what is required.
Students must follow this procedure before a decision regarding reinstatement is considered. NSO staff and teachers will review the request and reply to all parties. If course access is restored yet lack of activity continues for a week following reinstatement, student will be administratively withdrawn on a permanent basis.