North Education Center Alternative (NECA)
NECA includes programs such as ALC Plus, the former X-Track Expulsion Alternative (see old brochure at right with still relevant program information) and the parenting teen program formerly known as North Vista Education Center, now all housed in our North Education Center building.
- NECA provides educational opportunities for both pregnant and parenting teens and students who to need to work on the development of basic skills and recover high school credits.
- NECA is a credit based academic and work experience program serving high school students from the 12 member school districts of Intermediate 287 and is open to students outside of the Member Districts as space allows.
- NECA provides an onsite daycare.
Unique program features:
- NECA welcomes English Learners (EL) providing a fulltime instructor, Education Assistant and many tailored classes.
- NECA works with students at their skill level to help them build confidence in their abilities. Students are benefited by small class sizes and greater individual attention.
- NECA provides onsite day care services for teen parents. Parent-Child Specialists care for children ages six weeks through preschool. The day care center is licensed by the Department of Human Services. A nurse is available to monitor the development of the children and to assist the student parents with health and safety issues. Funding for this program is provided in part by Hennepin County Community Services.
- NECA offers high school diploma classes that meet the standard state requirements -as well as courses in work experience, parenting and life skills.
- NECA conducts academic assessments to create educational plans that address each student's needs.
- Related course work in career exploration and employment training focuses on meeting lifelong objectives.
- Parent instruction classes are required of all pregnant and parenting teens.
- To be successful parents, teens need parenting skills coupled with their education. All pregnant and parenting students participate in a specialized parenting class and in a child care practicum in the day care facility.
- Social service referral assistance is provided.
- Students receive career development counseling.
- Many exploratory activities are offered, including art classes; speakers on a wide range of relevant life-issues; field trips; and access to educational materials/resources.
- Students are given the opportunity to participate in various leadership conferences.
Special Programs and Services:
- Individual student progress is tracked through regular parent/student conferences.
- Working students are eligible to earn high school credit and are regularly evaluated for job performance.
- Unemployed students are given assistance in job searching.
- Students meeting specific requirements are given the opportunity to attend courses at the Hennepin Technical College or at various local colleges through the Post Secondary Education Options program.
Directions to Program:
5530 Zealand Avenue North
New Hope, MN 55428