Area Learning Center
Area Learning Center (ALC) programs are built on the idea that education is best achieved when a small group of caring people team together to help one another. Intermediate District 287's ALC serves students who live within 12 Hennepin County school districts. Students from other Minnesota school districts may also participate. All students who elect to attend ALC programming must qualify under the Graduation Incentives Program (see info to the right under useful information.) All programs strive to provide social, emotional and academic support for each student. ALC programs:
- Use non-traditional methods to help learners achieve academic and learning skills.
- Incorporate trade and vocational skills in the student's learning plan.
- Provide career exploration and work experience opportunities.
- Help students make the transition back to mainstream schools, to schools of higher education and to the workplace.
- Assist students in coping with or solving their personal and social problems.
- Help young people cope with personal crises and move on to academic and social growth.
- ALC programs fit into three broad categories (see more info at right under Useful Information.)
With more than 20 Area Learning Center program options, (see program descriptions and a listing with contact information at right under Useful Information) qualifying students are afforded a personalized, informal and more flexible way of learning. Services are provided year round for students as young as age 5 to age 21 who need alternatives to reach their potential and to fulfill educational goals. Some alternative learning centers are managed directly by Intermediate District 287 and some are managed by our member districts. Classes at programs managed by Intermediate District 287 are held at three convenient sites during days and evening hours to accommodate students' schedules:
- Shady Oak ALC, which houses the City West Academy and the Prairie Center Academy
- South Education Center, which houses the South Education Center Alternative (SECA) including ALC Plus students and a program designed for pregnant and parenting teens and English Learners
- North Education Center, which houses the North Education Center Alternative (NECA) including ALC Plus students, X-Track Expulsion Alternative and a program designed for pregnant and parenting teens and English Learners.